Information We Collect
Our main purpose for collecting personal information is to provide and improve our Website and Services to meet the compensation needs of our users. We collect personal information from you when you provide data while using our Services or from third-parties, such as your employer who may purchase a Service.
- Sign-up for a PayScale account: If you sign-up for a PayScale account, we will ask for your identifiers such as your email address and a password. You also will have the option to provide your name. After you create a PayScale account and log-in to our Services, you are no longer anonymous to us.
- Complete a salary survey: If you complete a salary survey, we will ask for detailed professional and employment related information, like your education and employment history. We will ask for the schools you’ve attended, skills you’ve attained, current and past job titles, cities and states for current and past jobs, and current and past compensation information to provide you with a customized salary report and other Services you request. Certain portions of that data from the salary survey will be included to improve the data of our anonymous and aggregated salary database called Crowdsourced Data. To learn more about the methodology used to develop and maintain our Crowdsourced Data, go here.
- Purchase our Services or register to attend our events: If you choose to purchase any of our paid Services or register to attend any of our webinars or events (such as our conference known as “Compference”), we will collect personal and commercial information from you necessary to process such purchase or registration, such as your financial information (like your credit card number and billing address) and we will retain a history of your purchases in our records.
- Request a Demo: If you request a demo from us, you will be asked to provide us your contact information and other relevant information about you and your business, so we can contact you for scheduling and demo to you the appropriate Service based on your business structure and needs. That information is stored in our internal systems to allow us to manage our relationship with you.
- Register for our user community called “Comptopia”: If you elect to join Comptopia, we will collect your email address or other personal information provided if you connect to Comptopia through a third-party service, such as with LinkedIn or Facebook.
- Log Information: We receive and record electronic networking activity information about your interactions with our Services, such as your computer information, connection information, like your IP address, PayScale cookie information, and the page(s) you visited.
- Usage Data: We also collect usage data, such as when you last logged in, what pages you viewed, links you clicked, collected by cookies about the pages viewed, links clicked, and other actions taken when accessing our Services.
- Businesses buy our Services: We may receive information about you from your employer, such as your name, job title, salary history, and other compensation-related information, if your employer has purchased our Services for its business. If your employer is a PayScale customer, you can learn directly from your employer about what information it shares with us, which will vary based on the particular Service used. We may also get your information from other businesses or partners who think you would receive value from our Services.
- You connect third-party services to our Services: When you choose to connect third-party services or accounts with your PayScale account or our other Services, we may receive information about you from that third-party provider. For example, if you choose to connect your LinkedIn, Twitter, or Facebook account to our Services (such as if you register to join Comptopia), we will receive your profile information from such account.
- You are referred a job posting PayScale has job postings for its company and we have an option that allows your friend or other visitors of our Website to forward you our job posting if they think you might be interested in it. In such instance, we ask for your first and last name and email address to deliver this job referral to you.
Yes, we do. Cookies and similar technologies help us deliver our Website and Services so that they work correctly and are delivered in a way that is valuable to our visitors and users. Cookies are small text files that are automatically placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit a web site. They are stored by your Internet browser. Cookies contain basic information about your Internet use. Your browser sends these cookies back to a web site every time you revisit it, so it can recognize your computer or mobile device and personalize your experience. To learn about the types of cookies we use and why we use them, go here. If you want to learn more about cookies, or how to control, disable, or delete them, check out www.aboutcookies.org. For Google Analytics Advertising Features, you can opt-out through Google Ads Settings. In addition, there are various popular products that provide privacy plugins such as Ghostery and AdBlock Plus. Note that if you choose to delete or disable any cookies, our Website or Services may not function properly and your access to some parts of our Website or Services may be degraded or restricted.
How We Use Information
PayScale uses your personal information to provide, support, and develop our Services, which includes the following purposes:
- Provide you with Services you requested: We will use the personal information you’ve provided to give you access to the Website and Services you or your employer (if they bought a Service from us) have requested, which includes providing aggregate data and average compensation information to generate personalized compensation reports for our users and an anonymous crowdsourced salary database.
- Send you Service communications: Service-related announcements will be sent to you when necessary. For instance, we might send you an email to reset your password or if a Service is temporarily suspended for maintenance. You may not opt-out of these communications because they’re not promotional in nature (we also hope you don’t consider these messages Spam).
- Inform you about new Services: We want you to know about new Services, offers, or events that we think you may value. You may receive marketing communications from us about our Services, practical guidance about salaries and careers, or our events. For example, if you sign-up for a PayScale account but do not wish to receive any marketing emails from us, you can subscribe or unsubscribe from receiving certain types of emails through the email settings of your PayScale account. You may also opt-out of receiving these communications by clicking the unsubscribe link provided in each communication and following the instructions provided.
- Develop Crowdsourced Data: If you choose to complete a salary profile through our Website, the data you input will be used to develop an anonymous and aggregated salary database we call Crowdsourced Data. You can learn more about the methodology we use to develop Crowdsourced Data here.
- Personalize the content and experience on our Websites and Services: Our Services allow you to stay informed about career advice, jobs, events, courses, and ideas regarding compensation, talent attraction and retention, and other related professional topics. We use the data we have about you (e.g., data we collect from your most recently viewed salary report in your PayScale account), to personalize our Services for you, such as by recommending to you relevant advice and career content, jobs (including, job listings based on job title and location), and courses.
- Comments to posts: If you post a comment, any information submitted may be removed by us in our discretion, but we do not guarantee that any information you choose to post will be removed (visitor comments are not actively monitored). Information you post may be viewed, collected, or used by PayScale (for example, to improve our Services) or other visitors, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the information you or other visitors choose to post on a Website or Service.
- Alumni surveys: If you provide information to us through an alumni survey at the invitation of your alma mater, we may provide non-personally identifiable information in its raw form or in the aggregate to your alma mater for research and analysis. Your personal data such as your name and email address will not be shared.
- Customer Support: If you send us a request for assistance regarding any Service issues (e.g., bugs), we use your data such as your contact information and the contents of your communications with us to respond, investigate, and resolve the Service issues and improve our Services to prevent the reoccurrence of such issue.
- Non-Identifiable Insights: We use data to generate insights about our Services that do not identify you. For example, we may use your data to generate statistics about how many visitors visited our Website, created salary profiles during a given month, or share a breakdown of the number of salary profiles we possess by location, profession, or industry.
- Other Business Purposes: We may use your personal information to operate our Websites and Services (e.g. process payment) or undertake tasks for legitimate business purposes. We will disclose the purpose of our use at the time of data collection.
How We Share Information
We occasionally share personal information collected from individuals or their employers with third-parties for various business and commercial purposes, such as the following:
- Partners and joint service offerings: We may share relevant information with our partners (such as sponsors or co-organizers of our events or our referral and resale partners) or other third-parties with whom we jointly offer related services, or have integrated their respective services with our Websites and Services (such as our partnership with ZipRecruiter to power our Job Search Engine and our partnership with global consulting firm Mercer).
- Legal disclosures: We reserve the right to disclose your personal data and other information solely to the extent required by applicable laws and when we believe disclosure is necessary to protect our rights (including, but not limited to, intellectual property rights) or to comply with our legal obligations, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process.
- Other PayScale users: We share non-personally identifiable information in an anonymous and de-identified form with other PayScale users and our customers. For example, you may see an anonymous profile that includes the job title, years of experience, and salary information of another PayScale user with a similar profile as you.
Your Rights and Obligations
What rights do I have over my account Information and preferences?
You can edit your PayScale account information and preferences at any time. If your information changes, you may delete, correct, or update it by making the change in your PayScale account settings on your own. We retain the personal data you provide while your PayScale account is in existence or as required to provide, operate, and maintain the Website and Services.
Are you located outside of the United States?
PayScale is located and headquartered in the United States (U.S.) and our Website and Services are hosted in the U.S. If you are visiting or providing information from a country outside of the U.S. with laws governing data protection, collection, or use that may differ from U.S. laws, note that you are transferring your data to the U.S., which may have different data protection laws. You can learn more about our data protection measures and our commitment to comply with applicable data protection laws here.
By providing us your personal data through your use of a Website or Service, you consent to:
- your personal data being transferred to the U.S.;
- the access, use, storage, and other processing of your personal data in the U.S.; and
- jurisdiction for any data issues shall be settled in the courts located in King County, in the State of Washington, United States of America.
Are you a California resident?
California residents have certain privacy rights under California law. California residents have the right to request information about the types of personal information we collect, from where we collect it, and with whom we share it. California residents also have the right to request that we delete their personal information. We will do all of this without discriminating against you for exercising these rights. To exercise these rights, California residents can make a request through the Contact Us page of our Website here or by emailing our Legal Department at email@example.com. When making a request, please include in your message to us “CCPA Request.”
PayScale does not sell your personal information and therefore, does not offer an opt-out to the sale of your personal information.
How do I deactivate my PayScale account?
If you wish to deactivate your PayScale account, you may do so at any time by changing your settings in the My Account page when you’re logged-in to your PayScale account. After your PayScale account has been deactivated, you will no longer be able to access your PayScale account, but we will continue to retain certain portions of your data even after you have closed your PayScale account: (a) if reasonably necessary to comply with our legal obligations, meet regulatory requirements, resolve disputes, maintain security, prevent fraud and abuse, enforce our agreement with you; and (b) fulfill and maintain your request to “unsubscribe” from further messages from us. Also, even after your PayScale account is closed, we retain de-personalized information you have provided such as de-personalized information included in our anonymized and aggregated salary database.
Other Important Information
Why do I see a message that says, "Data withheld for Privacy"?
When you view a salary report, you may see a message that says, “Data withheld for privacy” (or something like it). This message is not removed until the data in our system meets applicable legal guidelines (such as the Antitrust Safety Zone established by the U.S. Department of Justice and Federal Trade Commission you can learn about here). To protect the privacy and rights of individuals or a company, we only display data that has been rendered anonymous by removing various combinations of information, such as presenting an average or aggregate of multiple data points, limiting the base number of employers in any analysis to five or more, and pulling back from a local search to a broader geographic area.
How is my information protected?
We implement security safeguards designed to protect your data and we monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks. However, there is no guarantee that your data will not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. For information about how PayScale is dedicated to protecting your data, we invite you to visit our Data Protection page.
What if I purchased a product for my business from PayScale?
Have additional privacy questions?
If you have a privacy question or concern, you can contact us at:
1000 1st Avenue South
Seattle, Washington 98134